Pages

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Ricky Martin: I Felt Numb After Coming Out



First television interview: Ricky Martin Coming Out As A Gay Man and a new dad.

Ricky Martin on why he stayed silent about his sexuality. Then, meet his 2-year-old twins! Plus, the world premiere of his new single with Grammy winner Joss Stone.


Ricky Martin says he felt numb when he came out earlier this year.

The 38-year-old sent a mass email announcing the news in March and felt scared, but relieved afterward, he says on Tuesday's Oprah Winfrey Show.

"I just pressed 'send' ... My assistant walked in and I just started crying like a little baby," Martin tells Winfrey. "He goes, 'Let it go. Let it go. Finally you're free.'"

Ricky Martin proud to be "a fortunate gay man"

Martin, who became a dad to twin boys, Valentino and Matteo, via a surrogate in 2008, says his children prompted him to come out as a "proud homosexual man."

"Before I decided to become a father, I already accepted who I was and I was happy with who I was. Then, when I was I was holding my children, I said, 'OK, it's time to tell the world,'" he says.