Pages

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tom Hardy's Men's Health interview



Tom Hardy is already a critically acclaimed actor and now he's set for commercial success with the release of must see movie Inception this month, cage fighting movie Warrior with Nick Nolte, and the upcoming Mad Max reboot which he'll film in Australia this year alongside Nicholas Hoult. He appeared on Jonathan Ross's show a couple of weeks ago and now he stars in a photoshoot in Men's Health, and an accompanying interview where he looks back over the things he's learned. Here are some extracts:

* On his past addictions: “I thought I’d have a little bit of a party, and I’d end up high and frightened, in places that scared me. In a blackout I could end up anywhere. I might wake up somewhere the other side of London, or in another country. Or in bed with someone I didn’t know (OP Note: Like with a a naked guy and a cat.), not knowing how I got there. Bleeding. This was on a daily basis. And I was going to work. I didn’t want to appear rock ’n’ roll. I didn’t want anyone to know I was out of control, but I couldn’t hide it. Eventually, the body gives up. My body told me. I was completely kaput. I was lucky I didn’t get hepatitis or AIDS.”

* On his potential: "There comes a point when the world will stop rewarding potential and talent, natural gifts. There’s only so long that people will put up with the potential of working with someone who could be brilliant. . . To be told ‘Tom could do it’ was enough.” There comes a point where if you want to participate at a certain level in anything, you cannot just turn up and be respected. We all want to be recognised by people that we recognise. And a lot of the people who I think are brilliant – and who I want to be more like – work their f**king arses off, constantly. . . Over time, technique wins over natural ability. People who work hard, with constant application, determination and tenacity – although they may not be as interesting, or have as much flair – will win."


To read more of what Tom has to say about success and his son Louis, just read more.

* On his fear of failure: “Success or failure were different masks for the same beast, which is fear. So it was better to be a no show than to be a poor show. It still bolsters up my false pride, my ego, when I say ‘well I didn’t try, so you never know how good I’m going to be. And that way you can busk many years. Jay-Z says ‘this is me making it up’ – meaning ‘imagine if I wrote something, if I really cared’. And he’s saying that as a joke, but it’s the same sentiment.”

* On his son: “Louis arriving was an absolute godsend. Children need things. Not want things. Want and need are two different things I have always mixed up. When Louis came along he was like, ‘You can’t think about you! I’m here!’ It separated a lot of my selfish behaviour.”

You can check out Tom's full interview in the August issue of Men's Health, on sale now!